Jarek: The Bloody Tunnel

"If you trying to hide in the shadows, you're not doing a good job," Gyrffin said to me. The eladrin wizard stared right at me, despite the fact that I was covered in darkness. "I can see you in the dark."

Damn it! Those stupid faeries can see in darkness. I always forgot Shalelu's lesson about the fae. That's why she beats me in our battle trainings at night.

"I prefer to stay hidden," I explained. "Put the element of surprise on our enemies."

"This is not like one of your stupid pranks," Gyrffin answered back. There was a hint of frustration in his voice. "We need you in front of the group."

"Is there any problem?" The dragon-born suddenly intervened. "Why isn't the woodsman scouting ahead?"

I shook my head and entered the light. "I can't see anything ahead. I'm not as gifted like some people."

"But you can still track the monster," Arao continued. "You can stay at the edge of the light and look for the monster's trail."

"What if something pounces on top of me?" I asked, raising my voice. "I don't want to stay in front."

Gryffin shook his head in frustration. "You've got that fancy new bow to protect you," he snapped. "Stop whinning and go do your work!"

"We promise to stay close behind you," Arao replied. "Just in case anything happens to you."

I made my way in front towards the end of the tunnel, where three seperate entrances stood next to one another. The structure seemed to have been dug out by someone or something. I tried to remember what Shalelu taught me about caves and rock formations. Unfortunately, most of those lessons were never applied. We spent our sessions out in the forest, and never got to train underground.

Before I could say anything to my companions, I noticed something on one of the entrances. Dried blood on the stone floor. This seems to be the path that the creature took.

0 comments: