Jarek: At the Garrisson

The healers brought in the wounded half-elf to the sheriff's office. Lloyd's instructions were clear, have Tsuto locked in the holding cell and post two soldiers outside. A small crowd gathered outside the law enforcer's building, news travels fast in town and they were confirming what they heard.

I led the guards and Tsuto into the building. Several locals were shaking their heads as they caught sight of the badly beaten half-elf. A few women were crying at the news of the latest massacre. "Tsuto should die!" One of the voices shouted. "Kill him! He deserves to be hanged!"

"Enough!" I shouted at the people. "There's nothing here to see. Go back."

One of the women rushed to my side, tugging my sleeve. "Is it true? Is Master Lonjiku dead?"

I nodded sadly as she began to weep.

"Some protector you turned out to be," a voice in the crowd shouted. "This is your fault!"

"You should have stayed in the forest and let the real soldiers do the work!"

I ignored the insults and followed the other men into the office.

"Lock him up in the cell," I ordered the guards. "I want to know when he wakes up."

The guards nodded as they brought the unconscious Tsuto into small prison.

"Are they going to stay there?" one of the healers muttered as she looked out the window.

I gazed outside and saw the crowd had doubled in size. They were getting restless and agitated. Some of them wanted to barge into the sheriff's office and confront the wounded prisoner.

"Make sure no one gets in here," I said as I pulled out the short bow.

"Where are you going, sir?"

"I'm going back to the glasswork factory. My friends need me."

0 comments: