Jarek: Saving Foxglove

I run across town and saw the wanton destruction caused by the goblins. While most of the buildings were still standing, there were a lot of burning houses and shops. Dead goblin corpses were littered across the sidewalk, with a few dead townsfolk as well.

Looking away, I tried not to think of the terror stricken faces of the dead. I knew most of these people since I was a kid. Some of them were my parents' friends, killed and butchered like my parents were many years ago.

Sheriff Hemlock and Shalelu knew this attack would happen sooner or later. They had been anticipating it. Why else would they train a batch of recruits to go scounting around the forest and partol the borders. Hemlock thought Shalelu's recruits would help stop any advancing invaders.

And I was the one who failed the sheriff and my teacher.

"Jarek!" Guy shouted to me, snapping me back to reality. "Stop daydreaming and focus!"

We ran towards the White Deer Inn. It was a dandly looking villa, built for the more affluent and sociable residents of the town. Lloyd and Gryffin had been raving about the food there, as well as the extravagant social parties held by the Mayor. The eladrin wizard tried to convince me to go to the inn and join in one of the parties. I told Gryffin that everyone was better off with me in the woods. People from high society would scoff at people like me. And I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb in there.

"It's a good thing the White Deer is still intact," Lloyd heaved a sigh of relief. The half-elf warrior loved to hang out in the inn. He enjoyed sipping the spicy cocktails and mingling with the rich people of Sandpoint. If he had spent more time practicing his sword, rather than his witty tongue, he wouldn't have such a hard time fighting off the goblins.

"By Corellon's ears!" Guy swore, pointing over the side of the inn.

A lone human figure stood, surrounded by a platoon of blood crazed goblins. The goblins have the man cornered and trapped.

"That's Aldern Foxglove!" Lloyd stated. "He's one of the rich elite of Sandpoint!"

"So he's one of your friends, eh?" I retorted, trying to sound funny.

The half-elf rolled his eyes and shook his head.

"Let's just go help the man," Gryffin interrupted.

0 comments: