Arao: Free drinks for everyone; Interlude

I sat alone at the very end of the bar and watched the townsfolk celebrate the end of today's fighting. The general sense of relief and peace was a welcome feeling indeed. I wanted to be inconspicuous as possible, only occasionally acknowledging the cheers and adulation of the citizens, lest pride creep in and I forget that it should be Pelor who should be praised for lending me His strength.

The bartender came up to me and asked what drink I would like. He said that it was free and on the house. I was very parched from the day's battles so I decided to take him up on his offer.

"A glass of milk please," I ordered seriously. "Fresh cow's milk would be fine."

The barkeep's jaw dropped, and for some moments, he just stared at me incredulously.

I was perplexed by his reaction and felt awkward with the stare. "Umm, if you don't have any left, some cold water..."

"No, no, of course we have," he cut me off. "I'll get you one right away." He turned and walked away, chuckling and shaking his head, and muttering, "And I thought I've heard everything in all my years as a barkeep..."

The nobleman we rescued was talking about inviting us for a hunt, but no one seemed to acquiesce right away. We were going to move the dwarf Volio-sama, and our warlord comrade Lloyd to the infirmary in the temple. We were also going to the sheriff and deliver the captured goblin for interrogation, when I remembered something. Carefully, I made my way through the crowd and approached to address the eladrin wizard.

"Hail, arcane wizard. Were you able to obtain the whereabouts of the sage of the town?" I asked respectfully. "Perchance we can also seek his advice on the goblin attack today."

0 comments: