Jarek: Into the Graveyard, Prologue

The road to the town cemetery was eerie and silent. All the sounds of death and fighting had died down. The survivors of the goblin raid took the last remaining hours of the night to rest and console themselves.

I moved across the trees and the rocks, trying to be as silent as possible. I pulled up my green cloak, a gift from Shalelu. The garment was woven from hemp and other rough materials, dyed to resemble the shade of trees and woodland foilage. This was one of the ranger's tools, a way of staying hidden and unnoticed.

Moving quietly and steadily, I managed to steer away from anything that betrayed my position. Despite my lack of night vision, Shalelu had trained me enough to trust my other senses. To open my ears and listen to the sounds of the grass and the rocks.

I reached the entrace to the cemetery and saw the tombstones scattered across the large track of land. There was no one at the site but that didn't mean that there wasn't any so I kept to the shadows. I cautiously made my way towards the area where Father Tobyn's grave was located.

The ground at the grave was indeed newly disturbed confirming that there was indeed some activity in the. There were footprints everywhere. A group of human sized footprints appear to have come from the cathedral and the caretaker's shed. They could probably the ones who have returned the earth back into the plot.

Another group of of footprints headed towards the northern wall of the cemetery. I followed this and found them leading to a ladder which was still placed to allow access to the boneyard. Most of the footprints were small - definitely goblins. However, there is a set of larger footprints mingled with them. It was hard to determine who made them as it was smudged by the other goblin tracks.

A noise from the cathedral caught my attention and I decided to hide amongst the shadows of one of the nearby tombstones making sure it was big enough to cover me. I see someone was making his way into the cemetery and towards Father Tobyn grave. Someone too tall to be a goblin. Whoever he is, he is not doing a good job at being stealthy.

1 comments:

Miguel Enrico Gonzales said...

OOC: Made stealth and perception checks for Jarek. (Jarek's the only one trained in Perception, btw). He notices the stuff written in the post and is currently considered to be in hiding to everyone in the graveyard.