Jarek, The Next Day

I woke up feeling sore all over. Yesterday's fight with the goblins, as well as the late night excursion to the cemetry, got me all brusied in my legs and shoulders. I would have returned home sooner, but then Sheriff demanded that I help out in the repairs. "This is the least you could do," Hemlock grunted with a devilish grin. "After all, you were the one who led the goblins here into town."

Guided by the Sheriff, I helped clean out the dead goblin carasses and fix Ven's store. Hemlock continued to blame me for all the town's misfortunes. The other townsfolk gave me cold, condescending looks, trusting what the sheriff told them as true.

I quickly replaced the bandages on my arms and shoulders. The most of the wounds have closed up, but there were still some cuts that needed to be cleaned and fixed.

A sweet feminine voice caught my attention as I stepped out of the house. "Hi Jarek!"

I turned around and saw a petite, dark skinned girl running towards me. "Good morning Amryl," I greeted. Amryl was one of the few people who treated me well. She just turned eighteen a month ago and invited me over to her birthday party. I wanted to come, but her other guest might be offended if I showed up to ruin their celebration.

"That was some battle," Amryl exclaimed. Her brown eyes beaming under the bright morning sun. "I'm glad you're okay."

I felt a sudden guilt crawling in my stomach. With all the things that happened yesterday, I forgot to check up on Amryl and her dad. "Hows your family?"

"We managed to find a hide under the stable's secret room," Amryl replied. She was, of course, referring to the secret room where we once played hide and seek with Lloyd and Gryffin.

"I would have dropped by earlier," I explained. "But I was caught up with things."

"Don't worry about it," Amryl replied. "You're not the only one who have experience dealing with these sort of emergencies."

Amryl and I both lost our mothers during the werewolf attack. We were only five at that time. I remembered holding on to her as Amryl's father forced us into a closet. Ever since that fateful night, the two of us promised to take extra precautions and make sure to be always ready when the next disaster would strike.

"You're off to the woods again?" Amryl asked, her eyes gazing over my bow and arrows.

"Border patrol," I muttered. "I screwed up bad yesterday."

"Don't worry about what those people say," Amryl muttered. "You did good."

I shook my head and sighed.

Amryl nodded sweetly, as if she was stalling for time. "You take care of yourself," she said. "I also have tons of stuff to do as well. The horses have been on the edge since the goblins attack and dad wants me to clean up the stables."

"Okay," I muttered.

"I almost forgot," Amryl quickly added. She brought out a package from her bag. "Master Hosk wants you to have this."

"What's this?" I asked.

"A token of gratitude," she replied. "For helping save the town."

**********************

As Amryl walked away, I carefully opened the package that Daviren Hosk gave me. Inside the parcel are two leather armbands and a short note.

I opened the letter and saw the stable master's crude handwriting.

"Jarek,

I know things have been rough for you, losing both your parents and growing up in this god-forsaken town. I'm glad that despite all the things they say about you, you still manage to grow up into a fine young man.

This attack of the goblins worries me. I don't want to scare you or Amryl, but I feel that more terrible things are going to happen. This is like something that happened many years ago, like the time you lost your parents.

I am too old to go hunting these bastards like I used to. But these should help. I hope you go after and cut their filthy heads off.

Daviren"

****************************

I carefully examined the stablemaster's gift. Two finely crafted armbands made from exquisite brown leather. The bands looked brand new and easily fit my arms. I wondered how Daviren manage to acquire such a fine piece of equipment. From what Amryl told me, the stablemaster had been a mercenary back in his youth. This piece of equipment must be something he acquired during his warrior days.

1 comments:

Miguel Enrico Gonzales said...

OOC: Local lore.

Daviren Hosk is a local ranger and tends the Goblin Squash Stables(area 38 of the map). Daviren’s hatred of goblins is nearly legendary in Sandpoint. In a somewhat grisly display, over the entrance to the stable’s covered barn is his collection of goblin ears: preserved and nailed to three different rafters, each bearing the goblin’s name burned into the leathery flesh—mostly because Daviren knows that writing down a goblin’s name is one of the worst things you can do to desecrate his memory. The bitter ranger’s pride and joy is a large glass bottle filled with brine in which he’s preserved the body of Chief Whartus of the now extinct (due in large part to Daviren) Bonegrinder Tribe.