Jarek: Ancient Prison, Round 01

"This is a bad idea," I told my companions as we walked deeper into the tunnels. "We should go back and just ask Tsuto what's going on."

"The guy is unconscious," Lloyd answered back. "It might be days before he can even speak to anyone."

I wanted to answer back, but decided to hold my tongue. These people don't understand. I shouldn't be here anyway. So what's keeping me from leaving? A sense of loyalty? Friendship for old times sake?

We entered a chamber with an ugly looking crimson statue standing at the center. The rest of my companions began to examine the horrid masterpiece, trying to outdo each other with their knowledge of history and trivia.

"Alaznist!"

"Runelord of Wrath."

"Runelord? Her?!" I asked out loud. What's a runelord? Why does she look like she was about to kill someone with her fancy sword?

The two eladrins began a long dialogue about wizards and ancient kingdoms, trying to boast their extensive knowledge on obscure and useless things. I slowly walked away after Lloyd joined in their discussion.

I made my way around the chamber, examining the corners for tracks and clues. When I turned around, I saw the eladrins eyeing the statue's sword, marveling its design and craftsmanship.

Gryffin took a deep breath and rubbed his hands. The eladrin whispered a short incantation, his fingers tracing the air in a circular gesture. The sword began to wiggle out of the statue's grasp and float towards the wizard.

At least some things never change, I thought to myself. Trust Gryffin to use magic when he wants to pilfer objects. He's an expert in moving bread, cheap jewelries and other trinkets. That little thief managed to get away with his scams, thanks to his illusions and wizardry.

"Hey Jarek," the wizard exclaimed. "Look at this!"

Gryffin waved his hands and the statue's weapon began to move on its own, as if it was being held by the eladrin's thoughts. "I've learned some new tricks too!"

He muttered a couple of words and the blade glowed, illuminating the room with the color of aspen leaves.

"Keep quiet!" Arao suddenly muttered. The paladin pointed over the end of the chamber. "I think I heard something."

"I think we should get out of here," I repeated. "We're not suppose to be here."

But no one listened to me.

Lloyd followed the paladin and proceeded further into the chamber. Gryffin waved his hands and the glowing blade floated and settled down close to the door. I shook my head in frustration. "We almost died with those things in the tunnel!"

"Have faith, woodsman!" Guy assured me. "Corellon is on our side."

I wanted to protest further, but it was too late.

Arao opened the chamber door and the light of the blade filtered inside the next room.

As the darkness departed, I saw several looming figures. Two of them appeared like the creatures we fought in the tunnels.

"Son of a dryad!" I muttered. "It's another sinspore!"

"Sinspawn!" Guy corrected me.

I ignored the priest's remark and quickly fired an arrow at the creature.

0 comments: