DM: Nualia, Part 2

“I have been following your progress, or at least your early progress. Tsuto was concerned that the five of you might be brave, or foolish enough to try and take the battle to Thistletop. I see Father Guillaume is with you. Did he tell you his part in my downfall?” she asks.

Seeing the flicker of confusion in all your faces, she barks a single, cold laugh.

“Ha! My great horror. My great shame! The infant that filled my gut. He is the one that birthed it. Did he tell you that? No, of course not. He birthed it. My son, my beautiful son. And when they saw that Thazidun had gifted me with a dog headed prince, he and Zantus took it and….” she stammers, as if lost for words. Lloyd pulls up beside Gryffin, casting the young wizard a look, as if to question whether it was wise to wait. Behind Arao, Rhonna, Orik and Guy moved up.

“Guillaume knew. Zanthus knew. They knew what my 'father' was doing to me. They could have helped. They chose not. That is why Thazidun came to me. Nobody else would help, and when I found the old shrine beneath the town, I spoke with her. I had fled there, like so many times before, to escape the drunken attentions of the man who claimed he was my father. He hated me. He hated my heavenly blood. He was a man who had lost his god. No spirits spoke to him. He was an empty shell. HE KILLED MY MOTHER, and then he took his rage out on me.” She is screaming now, almost incoherent. It is as if her anger has turned almost to fear, her voice a shuddering, hacking mess.

“The town priests knew about all of this. They deserve to die! Sandpoint deserves to die.” And whispering now… “For what they did to me. For how long they let this happen to me. For taking my boy from me.”

She sobs once, before looking up again, her beautiful eyes and silver hair hinting at her heaven-touched heritage.

“So kill me!” she whispers. “I have nothing to live.”

0 comments: