guillaume: star of ill omens

i opened my eyes and felt the rumbling of the then calm waters. the uneasy bob of the rowboat awaken me from my meditation. i often go out boating just by myself. i enjoyed the solitary experience of just my voice in my head to keep me company. and a few times i even delude myself into thinking that corellon himself is talking to me when really it is just me. i heard shouting of the townsfolk back at shore. i see them, tiny little figures from where i was at, line up and point to the skies. i looked up and saw death and destruction.

it was a meteor. a fiery death sentence that divided the clear sky across and pass sandpoint. i thanked corellon that it went down far but perhaps not far enough. i may not be a seasoned seafarer but i knew all to well what was happening. the waters receded. i quickly grabbed the oars and paddles deeper into the sea with not a moment to loose.

i have read about it from ancient scrolls about giant waves that decimate entire cities. i didn't give it much thought at that time except that it was just a poet's way of bringing poetry to an otherwise mundane event. i did not expect that i would have the luck (or more aptly bad luck) of experiencing it first hand.

here i was sitting on a little row boat paddling for my life. but what of the towns people, my heart sank when i saw the destruction. the shore was littered with disarrayed boats and houses that have collided. i distinctly hear distant and scattered screams of the lost and the dying. i could not just stay offshore but what could i do. what could anyone do ..

0 comments: